BSc (Hons) (1987), PhD (1993), National University of Singapore;
Royal Society Developing Country Fellowship, University of Bristol, U.K (1993-1994)
Lecturer (1993-1998), Department of Chemistry, NUS
Assistant Professor (1998-2006), Department of Chemistry, NUS
Associate Professor (2006-present), Department of Chemistry, NUS
Assistant Dean (2006-2009), Faculty of Science, NUS
My research interests are in the field of nanostructures, including developing methodologies to synthesize novel hierarchical nanostructures with functional properties for desired applications. Research fields include:
1) Synthesis and assembly of core/shell, doped and layered functional nanomaterials
2) Nanoparticles and nanocomposites designed for energy and photocatalytic applications
1. Size-Dependent Optical Nonlinearities and Scattering Properties of PbS Nanoparticles, M. S. Neo, N. Venkatram, G. S. Li, W. S. Chin, J. Wei, J. Phys. Chem. C, 113, 19055–19060, 2009.
2. Shape-Controlled Synthesis of Zinc Oxide: A Simple Method for the Preparation of Metal Oxide Nanocrystals in Non-Aqueous Medium, Z.H. Zhang, M. Lu, H. Xu, W. S. Chin, Chem. Eur. J., 13, 632-638, 2007.
3. A Simple Way To Prepare PbS Nanocrystals with Morphology Tuning at Room Temperature, Z. Zhang, S. H. Lee, J. J. Vittal, W. S. Chin, J. Phys. Chem. B, 110, 6649-6654, 2006.
4. Dodecanethiol-Protected Copper/Silver Bimetallic Nanoclusters and Their Surface Properties, T. P. Ang, W. S. Chin, J. Phys. Chem. B, 109, 22228, 2005.
5. Preparation of Ag2S nanocrystals of Predictable Shape and Size, Lim W P, Zhang Z, Low H Y and Chin W S, Angew. Chem. Int. Edn, 43, 5685, 2004.
6. Synthesis, Characterization and Nonlinear Optical Properties of Hybridized CdS-polystyrene Nanocomposites, Du H, Xu G Q, Chin W S, Huang L, Ji W, Chem. Mater. 14, 4473, 2002.
7. Published Book: “Science at the Nanoscale – An Introductory Textbook”, Chin W. S.,Sow C. H., Andrew Wee T.S., Pan Stanford Publishing, 2010, ISBN: 978-981-4241-03-8.