BSc, Nanyang University, Singapore (1980),
MSc, West Virginia University, USA (1983),
PhD, Cornell University, USA (1987)
Molecular biology of plant viruses, discovery of new viruses, virus replication and translation mechanisms, rapid and sensitive detection of viruses, synergism in virus-virus and virus-host Interactions, virus novel gene functions, protein expression using plant viral vectors, virus resistant transgenic plants, structural biology and bioinformatics of viruses, use of plant viruses as nano-materials for drug delivery, RNA interference.
1. Liu P, Wang L, Wan ZY, Ye BQ, Huang S, Wong SM, Yue GH (2016). Mapping QTL for resistance against viral nervous necrosis disease in Asian Seabass. Marine Biotechnol. 18: 107-116. doi: 10.1007/s10126-015-9672-6.
2. Guo S, Kierzek E, Chen G, Zhou Y-J, Wong S-M. (2015). TMV mutants with poly(A) tracts of different lengths demonstrate structural variations in 3'UTR affecting viral RNAs accumulation and symptom expression. Sci. Rep. 5: 18412; doi:10.1038/srep1841
3. Li S, Wang S, Wang X, Li X, Zi J, Ge S, Cheng Z, Zhou T, Ji Y, Deng J, Wong S-M, Zhou Y (2015). Rice stripe virus affects the viability of its vector offspring by changing developmental gene expression in embryos. Sci. Rep. 5: 7883 doi:10.1038/srep07883.
4. Niu S, Cao S, Huang LJ, Tan KCL and Wong SM (2015). The length of an internal poly(A) tract of Hibiscus latent Singapore virus is crucial for its replication. Virology 474:52-64.
5. Niu S, Gil-Salas FM, Tewary SK, Samales AK, Johnson J, Swaminathan K and Wong SM (2014) Hibiscus chlorotic ringspot virus coat protein is essential for cell-to-cell and long-distance movement but not for viral RNA replication. PLoS ONE 9(11): e113347. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0113347.
6. Gao RM, Xie JT, Lin QS, Seow TK, Wong SM (2014). Identification of differentially expressed proteins in TCV-infected Nicotiana benthamiana protoplasts determined by 2-D gel electrophoresis. Plant Pathology Bulletin 23(1): 15-29.
7. Niu SN, Cao SS, Wong SM (2014). An infectious RNA with a hepta-adenosine stretch responsible for programmed -1 ribosomal frameshift derived from a full-length cDNA clone of Hibiscus latent Singapore virus. Virology 449: 229-234.